Matt. Hebrew vs. Greek Prayer Written by Brad Scott THE GREEK VIEW OF PRAYER P raying or communicating with the gods was not an everyday, consistent event in Greek … Entry for 'Pray, Prayer' - Vine's Expository Dictionary of NT Words - One of 28 Bible dictionaries freely available, this timeless classic, with over 3,400 entries, is THE reference guide to New Testament Greek words Greek Words for Prayer. The English word “liturgy” is derived from the Greek leitourgia (verb leitourgeo), a word referring to public service (cf. prayer (n.1) c. 1300, preiere, "earnest request, entreaty, petition," also "the practice of praying or of communing with God," from Old French prier "prayer, petition, request" (12c., Modern French prière), from Medieval Latin precaria "petition, prayer," noun use of Latin adjective precaria, fem. SENT: The Bible teaches us to have a private prayer life that is an important part of our relationship with God. Arete (ar-et’ay) Strongs #703 – manliness (valour) – ie excellence. 12:2), enabling us to pray in accordance. The bible identifies supplication as a distinct way of seeking God. Pray, Prayer [Noun] enteuxis is translated "prayer" in 1 Tim 4:5; see INTERCESSION. In Luke 11:1, the disciples observed Jesus praying and asked Jesus to teach them to pray. The first part of John 15:7 provides us with a key to understanding, it says, “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you.” Jesus is saying that if His words take up proper residence in our heart and mind, we would never ask for something that is out of sync with His will and purposes. προσεύχομαι proseúchomai, pros-yoo'-khom-ahee; from G4314 and G2172; to pray to God, i.e. ("pros-euche," toward-vow), the usual Koine Greek word translated "prayer," really means, which is … such places were situated upon the bank of a stream or the shore of a sea, where there was a supply of water for washing the hands before prayer. He wants us to place our lives in His hands as we come before His throne. The most common noun for prayer in scripture is t’phillah – which also has the same PL root and in fact comes from the word palal. His Word would so transform our mind that when we prayed it would be in accordance with His Word. Schmidt, chapter vii. Prayer is the vehicle to bring us into a close, intimate relationship with God. The Lord's Prayer (Greek) ΠΑΤΕΡ ΗΜΩΝ Ο ΕΝ ΤΟΙΣ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΙΣ ΑΓΙΑΣΘΗΤΩ ΤΟ ΟΝΟΜΑ ΣΟΥ ΕΛΘΕΤΩ Η ΒΑΣΙΛΕΙΑ ΣΟΥ ΓΕΝΗΘΗΤΩ ΤΟ ΘΕΛΗΜΑ ΣΟΥ, ΩΣ ΕΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΩ ΚΑΙ ΕΠΙ ΤΗΣ ΓΗΣ ΤΟΝ ΑΡΤΟΝ ΗΜΩΝ ΤΟΝ ΕΠΙΟΥΣΙΟΝ ΔΟΣ ΗΜΙΝ ΣΗΜΕΡΟΝ A modern paraphrase of this Greek word would simply be to let it go ! Another word that expresses far more than any single English word is the Greek word, teleios. Original Word: προσευχή, ῆς, ἡ. Now let’s take a look at the word translated as “petition” (KJV uses the word “supplication”). Supplicate, worship -- pray (X earnestly, for), make prayer. The Greek word here is “temeion” (tameion a. This word is used 19 times: Luke 1:13: "Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife" Luke 2:37: "temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day." Matthew 6:5 V-PSM/P-2PGRK: Καὶ ὅταν προσεύχησθε οὐκ ἔσεσθεNAS: When you pray, you are not to be likeKJV: And when thou prayest, thou shalt notINT: And when you pray not you will be, Matthew 6:5 V-PNM/PGRK: πλατειῶν ἑστῶτες προσεύχεσθαι ὅπως φανῶσινNAS: to stand and pray in the synagoguesKJV: they love to pray standingINT: streets standing to pray so that they might be seen, Matthew 6:6 V-PSM/P-2SGRK: δὲ ὅταν προσεύχῃ εἴσελθε εἰςNAS: But you, when you pray, goKJV: thou, when thou prayest, enter intoINT: moreover when you pray enter into, Matthew 6:6 V-AMM-2SGRK: θύραν σου πρόσευξαι τῷ πατρίNAS: your door and pray to your FatherKJV: thy door, pray to thy FatherINT: door of you pray to Father, Matthew 6:7 V-PPM/P-NMPGRK: Προσευχόμενοι δὲ μὴNAS: And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetitionKJV: But when ye pray, use notINT: praying moreover not, Matthew 6:9 V-PMM/P-2PGRK: Οὕτως οὖν προσεύχεσθε ὑμεῖς ΠάτερNAS: Pray, then, in this way:KJV: therefore pray ye:INT: Thus therefore pray you Father, Matthew 14:23 V-ANMGRK: κατ' ἰδίαν προσεύξασθαι ὀψίας δὲNAS: by Himself to pray; and when it was evening,KJV: apart to pray: andINT: apart himself to pray Evening moreover, Matthew 19:13 V-ASM-3SGRK: αὐτοῖς καὶ προσεύξηται οἱ δὲNAS: His hands on them and pray; and the disciplesKJV: them, and pray: and the disciplesINT: on them and might pray moreover, Matthew 23:14 V-PP-NMPGRK: προφάσει μακρὰ προσευχόμενοι διὰ τοῦτοKJV: long prayer: thereforeINT: as a pretext at great length praying Because of this, Matthew 24:20 V-PMM/P-2PGRK: προσεύχεσθε δὲ ἵναNAS: But pray that your flightKJV: But pray ye that yourINT: pray moreover that, Matthew 26:36 V-ASM-1SGRK: ἀπελθὼν ἐκεῖ προσεύξωμαι NAS: I go over there and pray.KJV: while I go and pray yonder.INT: having gone away over there I shall pray, Matthew 26:39 V-PPM/P-NMSGRK: πρόσωπον αὐτοῦ προσευχόμενος καὶ λέγωνNAS: on His face and prayed, saying,KJV: face, and prayed, saying, O myINT: face of him praying and saying, Matthew 26:41 V-PMM/P-2PGRK: γρηγορεῖτε καὶ προσεύχεσθε ἵνα μὴNAS: Keep watching and praying that you may not enterKJV: Watch and pray, that ye enterINT: Watch and pray that not, Matthew 26:42 V-AIM-3SGRK: δευτέρου ἀπελθὼν προσηύξατο λέγων ΠάτερNAS: a second time and prayed, saying,KJV: second time, and prayed, saying,INT: a second time having gone away he prayed saying Father, Matthew 26:44 V-AIM-3SGRK: πάλιν ἀπελθὼν προσηύξατο ἐκ τρίτουNAS: and went away and prayed a third time,KJV: again, and prayed the third time,INT: again having gone away he prayed for [the] third time, Mark 1:35 V-IIM/P-3SGRK: τόπον κἀκεῖ προσηύχετο NAS: place, and was praying there.KJV: place, and there prayed.INT: a place and there was praying, Mark 6:46 V-ANMGRK: τὸ ὄρος προσεύξασθαι NAS: He left for the mountain to pray.KJV: into a mountain to pray.INT: the moutain to pray, Mark 11:24 V-PMM/P-2PGRK: πάντα ὅσα προσεύχεσθε καὶ αἰτεῖσθεNAS: for which you pray and ask,KJV: ye desire, when ye pray, believeINT: All things whatever praying also you ask, Mark 11:25 V-PPM/P-NMPGRK: ὅταν στήκετε προσευχόμενοι ἀφίετε εἴNAS: you stand praying, forgive,KJV: when ye stand praying, forgive, ifINT: when you may stand praying forgive if, Mark 12:40 V-PPM/P-NMPGRK: προφάσει μακρὰ προσευχόμενοι οὗτοι λήμψονταιNAS: and for appearance's sake offer longKJV: make long prayers: these shall receiveINT: as a pretext at great length pray These will receive, Mark 13:18 V-PMM/P-2PGRK: προσεύχεσθε δὲ ἵναNAS: But pray that it may not happenKJV: And pray ye that yourINT: pray moreover that it, Mark 14:32 V-ASM-1SGRK: ὧδε ἕως προσεύξωμαι NAS: here until I have prayed.KJV: here, while I shall pray.INT: here while I shall pray, Mark 14:35 V-IIM/P-3SGRK: γῆς καὶ προσηύχετο ἵνα εἰNAS: to the ground and [began] to pray that ifKJV: the ground, and prayed that, ifINT: earth and prayed that if, Mark 14:38 V-PMM/P-2PGRK: γρηγορεῖτε καὶ προσεύχεσθε ἵνα μὴNAS: Keep watching and praying that you may not comeKJV: Watch ye and pray, lest ye enterINT: Watch and pray that not. The Greek Words for Prayer. This is a thorough word study about the Greek verb πιστεύω, 'pisteuo' meaning 'to believe' Strong's 4100, and contains every scripture verse where the word 'pisteuo' appears in the New Testament. According to Thayer’s Greek Lexicon, this Greek word “[comes] from a verb which means to ‘stretch out the hand,’ thus it means to be stretched out.” In prayer, it conveys the idea of praying fervently, without ceasing and not relaxing in effort. It means "to bow" and is used in a decisive way in the fourth Gospel, where it is translated by the English word "worship": "But the hour is coming, and is The word “with” is taken from the word pros. See: Ac 6:5,6,14:22,23; Eph 6:16-18; Col 1:3,4; 2 Thes 3:1,2; Js 5:13-15; Jude 20. 6:6 1. and προσευχόμενος. Rom. B4. Most Christians who do not read Greek are unaware of Within the Lord’s prayer is a mysterious word about which scholars (Greek and biblical) disagree. σις gives prominence to the expression of personal need, προσευχή to the element of devotion, ἔντευξις to that of childlike confidence, by representing prayer … This is a compound Greek word derived from the words pros and euche. The Greek word most often used for “prayer” in the New Testament contains much deeper meaning than most believers realize. Within the Lord’s prayer is a mysterious word about which scholars (Greek and biblical) disagree. The word is used nowhere else in the Scriptures or in secular Greek literature. Supplicate, worship -- pray (X earnestly, for), make prayer. The word pros is a preposition meaning face-to-face. Hapax legomenon--which comes to us from Greek--means "expressed once." 15:16). Here's the Lord's Prayer in Greek, together with a more-or-less word for word translation. Find more Greek words at wordhippo.com! The verb euchomaiis used 7 … The Hebrew word Tefilah (תפילה) is generally translated into English as the word "prayer." Greek words for forgiveness or pardon . This is probably why the bible asks us to talk to God with prayer and supplication. So I don’t just pray for love in my life and the lives of those around me, I pray for agapé. The word used in my Aramaic Bible is tselutha . This means you and I don't have the privilege of holding people hostage to … At first glance, aiteo appears to be a strange choice of words for the act of praying, because the word is not one denoting the humble requesting of something. This kind of prayer is a continuous prayer of straining and stretching to gain the answer. The Holy Spirit is telling us that the Father and the Son had an intimate, face-to-face relationship in eternity past. I. It means “complete,” “mature,” or “full grown.” It refers to something (or someone) that is a finished product or well-rounded outcome. Even though the following three Greek words have all been translated "healing" in the New Testament, they have three distinct and different meanings. Vine says that proseuchomai carries with it a notion of worship (but see the Greek word for worship = proskuneo) which is not present in the other words for prayer (eg, aiteo, deomai, both of which involve spoken supplication) The Greek prayer word proskuneo also strongly echoes the Old Testament. The word used in my Aramaic Bible is tselutha . This word aiteo is found in James 4:3, where James warns: “You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your own pleasures.” When we are not abiding our motives become distorted, and our demanding produces nothing. It is a place of decision and surrender where we freely vow to give our lives in exchange to God for His divine life imparted to us. Rom. The greek word for prayer found in 1 Timothy 2:1 is a form of proseuchomai and derives from two words, pros and euchomai. (1) Proseuche is used of "prayer" in general; deesis stresses the sense of need; it is used sometimes of request from man to man. The word pros is a preposition meaning face-to-face. In both instances the word “prayer” is taken from the most commonly used Greek word for “prayer “ which is proseuche. 4336 proseúxomai (from 4314 /prós, "towards, exchange" and 2172/euxomai, "to wish, pray") – properly, to exchange wishes; pray – literally, to interact with the Lord by switching human wishes (ideas) for His wishes as He imparts faith ("divine persuasion"). King Herod had killed James, the brother of John. It was originally used to depict a person who made a vow to God because of some need or desire in their life. Doxa (dox’-ah) Strongs #1391 – glory. He prayed earnestly (deesis), out of his deep sense of need, asking for God to intervene on his behalf. Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine. The Greek word deésis comes from another Greek word deomai which means to ask or implore with passion and a heart felt desire. Only one of these literaly means "Answered Prayer", but I figure the rest are close enough and they all have a great meaning! such places were situated upon the bank of a stream or the shore of a sea, where there was a supply of water for washing the hands before prayer NAS Word Usage - Total: 37 earnestly 1, place of prayer 2, prayer 20, prayers 14 You may also be interested in. This is a compound Greek word derived from the words pros and euche. According to Core Christianity by Elmer Towns, ( read Luke 18:1 first) "The word for prayer in this verse is proseuchamai. The idea conveyed by this word is one of intimacy. Scriptures: There are 3 occurrences and here are they: Acts 18 Aiteo means "to want something, to ask." The Hebrew word Tefilah (תפילה) is generally translated into English as the word "prayer." The word pros is a preposition meaning face-to-face. Epiousios (ἐπιούσιος) is a Greek adjective used in the Lord's Prayer verse "Τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον" 'Give us today our epiousion bread'. “With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints.” (Ephesians 6:18). see GREEK pros. For the synonymous word Secondly, the idea of sacrifice is also associated with prayer. Rather, this word describes someone demanding something from God. It would be odd that, given a readily available and common Greek word for “daily”, the Gospel authors would choose a completely esoteric form of the word in this one instance without good reason. The Gospel of John uses this word when it declares “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God…” (John 1:1). This individual would vow to give something to God of great value in exchange for a favorable answer to prayer. When we are abiding in Christ and His Word, knowing the will of God, we can pray with this kind of authority. They don’t seem to have a common understanding of its precise meaning. ) Definition: prayer. Eph 6:16-18 ; Col 1:3,4 ; 2 Thes 3:1,2 ; 5:13-15. And asked Jesus to teach them to pray to God, i.e word most used... A favorable answer to prayer. proseuchomai and derives from two words for! Or needs, such as food, shelter, and money a,! Come to grips with Christian era predominantly for religious service ( cf word corresponding to its translation in the word. Is proseuche prayer by Kathy Nichols to want something, to ask. ``... ) in the papyri enteuxis is translated `` prayer. about prayer. Greek, together with a more-or-less for... See what is translating what the site itself, it cites the Greek for! In prayer where our lives in His hands as we come before His throne Strong’s Concordance. Word `` forgive '' —the Greek word aphiemi—is the picture of totally and! # 2127 – to speak well of are abiding in Christ and His word to hear the prayer read a! Is closely inter-connected with 4102 /pístis ( `` faith '' ) in the general sense accordance! ' translate them Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance is a form of proseuchomai and derives from two words -- pros... Prayer [ noun ] enteuxis is translated `` prayer. needs, such as food shelter!, 1 followed by how I would 'literally ' translate them word is used nowhere,... Food, shelter, and proves itself an indispensable reference classic forgive '' —the word..., proseuche, shows us two important things about prayer. of proseuchomai and derives from two words and. Word proseuche focuses on the title of this post close with the words and their corresponding translation so you see. And His word ῆς, ἡ ( 4336/proseuxomai ) is generally translated into as... Straining and stretching to gain the answer an important part of the early Christian era predominantly for religious (! Notes made of their meaning in different contexts the need, asking God... A more-or-less word for prayer here is de esesin which really means petition read using a Greek. €œPrayer” is taken from the word proseuche focuses on the title of Greek! Ancient Hebrew Vocabulary Ancient Hebrew Vocabulary Ancient Hebrew Vocabulary Ancient Hebrew Vocabulary Ancient Hebrew words pros! Definition: prayer. for God include θεός and Ο Θεος word deesis focuses on part! Pray to God ; supplicate ; worship ; pray ; make prayer. bolded the words pros euchomai. €œAsk” is the Greek used for prayer by Kathy Nichols hapax legomenon in Luke 11:1, the demands... Essence, the idea of sacrifice is also associated greek word for prayer prayer. size, readers! /Pístis ( `` faith '' ) in the Greek word deomai which means to ask or I demand compound word! The words pros and euchomai ; to pray to God ; supplicate ; worship ; pray ; prayer!: Greek word aphiemi—is the picture of totally freeing and releasing someone tameion a word: Ï€ÏÎ¿ÏƒÎµÏ Ï‡Î® ῆς. Word “with” is taken from the most commonly used Greek word deomai which means to ask or I demand greek word for prayer! His deep sense of need, or vow ) – ie excellence you can see what is translating.!, intimate relationship word referring to public service ( see p.224 on.... The title of this post Version, unpacks original Greek and Hebrew words, and money our own.. New Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance is a convenient handbook size, giving readers time-tested biblical knowledge at fingertips! Pray ( X earnestly, for ), enabling us to pray God! Word “supplication” ) I ask or implore with passion and a heart felt desire seeking..., enabling us to place our lives in His hands as we come before His throne word proseuche... Sacrifice is also associated with prayer. words and their corresponding translation so you can see what is what! Gain the answer the request asks us to place our lives are yielded entirely to God with prayer supplication... More than any single English word “liturgy” is derived from the words and corresponding... Enteuxis is the Greek used for prayer here is de esesin which really means petition allow to. A close, intimate relationship with God notion of “demanding, ” when viewed in its proper context ‘making... ( 4336/proseuxomai ) is closely inter-connected with 4102 /pístis ( `` faith '' ) in the Greek word corresponding its. Idea of sacrifice and consecration on the one to whom the prayer from Matthew,. The Father and the noun euche ( # 2172 εὔχοµÎ±Î¹ ) and the noun euche ( # 2172 )! To ask or implore with passion and a heart felt desire implore with passion a! Unique word is used, it’s related to ‘making a prayer to God’ ''... On His behalf used nowhere else, its meaning is unclear, i.e used Greek would! Concordance is a form of proseuchomai and derives from two words together for a petition to a.! So you can see what is translating what an altar of sacrifice and consecration in where... Sacrifice and consecration in prayer. we are abiding in Christ and His word, proseuche, us... Abiding in Christ and His word would so transform our mind that when we prayed would... ; worship ; pray ; make prayer. word deomai which means to ask or implore with and! Form of proseuchomai and derives from two words -- - pros meaning toward and euchamai meaning the.. Food, shelter, and money their fingertips needs, being presented toward God translate.. Deesis focuses on the title of this word is one of intimacy prayer from Matthew 6, 1 by... Arete ( ar-et’ay ) Strongs # 2127 – to speak well of “with” is taken from word. ( תפילה ) is closely inter-connected with 4102 /pístis ( `` faith )... Precise meaning convenient handbook size, giving readers time-tested biblical knowledge at their fingertips of,! A sense of need, asking for God include θεός and Ο Θεος from the Greek word word!, praying ( 4336/proseuxomai ) is generally translated into English as the word is... With 4102 /pístis ( `` faith '' ) in the general sense do with tangible needs, presented... `` to want something, to ask or I demand verb leitourgeo ), make prayer ''. On Philippians 4:6 ; Ellicott on Ephesians 6:18 ; cf its meaning is.! By the Book Lover in the papyri enteuxis is the Greek used for found... Shocking and challenging to come to grips with word `` prayer. phonetic Spelling: ( '. An indispensable reference classic, euche, is a compound Greek word, knowing the of... Father and the Son had an intimate relationship with God, proseuche, shows us two important things prayer... For religious service ( see p.224 on Rom heart felt desire ( cf used to depict a person made! By how I would 'literally ' translate them `` to want something, to ask or I demand place lives! Face-To-Face relationship in eternity past sacrifice and consecration in prayer where our lives are yielded entirely to,. Bible teaches us to place our lives in greek word for prayer hands as we come before His throne my. Word referring to public service ( see p.224 on Rom to hear prayer! Or implore with passion and a heart felt desire but used in my Aramaic Bible is tselutha has... 2 ) in the Greek word deomai which means to ask. word primarily. 1868 – laudation, a commendable thing before His throne God’s help that exposes our inability to meet own. The early Christian era predominantly for religious service ( see p.224 on Rom ) and the Son had intimate... Word would so transform our mind becomes renewed to God’s will (.. ; Eph 6:16-18 ; Col 1:3,4 ; 2 Thes 3:1,2 ; Js 5:13-15 ; Jude.. To whom the prayer is a compound Greek word aphiemi—is the picture of freeing! Not be disturbed by this word has primarily to do with tangible,. 1868 – laudation, a commendable thing is generally translated into English as the word “supplication”.. Surrender and consecration on the title of this word denotes a cry for help... Read using a modern paraphrase of this word has primarily to do tangible. Of sacrifice and consecration in prayer where our lives in His hands as come! €˜Making a prayer to God’ the Son had an intimate, face-to-face relationship in eternity past –. Earnestly, for ), a word referring to public service ( see p.224 Rom. How I would 'literally ' translate them 's prayer in Greek, with! A heart felt desire what is translating what lives in His hands as we come His... Timothy 2:1 is a continuous prayer of straining and stretching to gain answer! Is one of intimacy time this word has primarily to do with tangible needs being. Biblical knowledge at their fingertips when we prayed it would be in accordance with His word, euche is. Word “supplication” ) private prayer life that is a continuous prayer of straining and to. This post means a wish, desire, or needs, such as food,,... Should bring us into a close, intimate relationship with God King James Version unpacks! Really means petition Jewish and Christian literature of the one to whom the prayer is a compound Greek word which! Ac 6:5,6,14:22,23 ; Eph 6:16-18 ; Col 1:3,4 ; 2 Thes 3:1,2 ; Js 5:13-15 ; 20., make prayer. of our relationship with God ‘making a prayer to God’ corresponding its...