Haunt your murderer! Catherine Earnshaw has died, and the novel now focusses on Heathcliff’s aggressive desire for revenge, and on the lives of young Catherine, Linton, and Hareton. Catherine is devastated when Heathcliff has to leave. Heathcliff is able to gain the favoritism of Mr. Earnshaw and later Catherine. I know that ghosts have wandered on the Earth. Home > A Level and IB study tools > English Literature > Catherine Earnshaw quotes. Be with me always–take any form–drive me mad. He became the antihero of the story. Catherine writes in her journal about Hindley’s treatment of Heathcliff. I cannot live without my life! This writing, however, was nothing but a name repeated in all kinds of characters, large and small – Catherine Earnshaw, here and there varied to Catherine Heathcliff, and then again to Catherine Linton. Wuthering Heights. I believe–I know that ghosts have wandered the earth. One of the best interactions that she has is with Heathcliff. Wife And Kids . p.26. by Emily Bronte. The murdered do haunt their murderers. concepts. Already have that Catherine was cruel and Cathy was loving and that they were both beautiful. See what Catherine Earnshaw (earnshaw4) has discovered on Pinterest, the world's biggest collection of ideas. Heathcliff speaks these words to Catherine after she walked in on him embracing Isabella. These are two traits, which are necessary for a woman to be an eligible option for marrying into a wealthy family. Oh, God! Looking at the roles of women in this section of the novel, there isn’t too much to work with. Catherine Earnshaw 's best boards. I cannot die without my soul. It is her betrayal in marrying Edgar Linton and the act of … . She burned too bright for this world." Easter kids crafts. Catherine Earnshaw, Page 82 Cathy's oft-quoted declaration of love for Heathcliff incorporates many of the novel's important themes and stylistic qualities. He speaks to her about his plans for revenge, using Isabella Linton as his pawn. It is unutterable! Catherine grows up as a free spirit in Earnshaw family with Heathcliff. Heathcliff locks her up until she agrees to marry Linton. Essay by jdutia, B, February 2007 . The best quotes from Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - organized by theme, including book location and character - with an explanation to help you understand! Catherine will have no inheritance and she too is an orphan when Mr Earnshaw dies. English Literature; A2/A-level; AQA; Created by: Lauren; Created on: 05-06-13 15:14; She was never... so happy as when we were all scolding her at once. The murdered do haunt their murderers. Charlottes bedroom ideas. It is unutterable! In the end, they both marry other people. Quotes Nelly Dean Quotes Before I came to live here, she commenced . book. Although she doesn’t seem to like Heathcliff when he arrives at Wuthering Heights, the two soon become inseparable. Downloaded 10 times. Catherine Earnshaw. 17 of the best book quotes from Heathcliff #1 “Do I want to live? Best Couple Love … You said I killed you–haunt me then. Charlotte Riley as Catherine Earnshaw and Tom... Emily Bronte Charlotte Bronte Wuthering Heights Tom Hardy Charlotte Riley Peaky Blinders In The Heights Movie Yorkshire Bronte Sisters Film Genres. Catherine Earnshaw has a feeling for a boy her fathers takes in. Heathcliff. Catherine Earnshaw is a fictional character and the female protagonist of the 1847 novel Wuthering Heights written by Emily Bront ë. Catherine is one of two children to Mr. and Mrs. Earnshaw, the original tenants of the Wuthering Heights estate. I wish my father were back again. Heathcliff only hears her say, "It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now," and does not hear her professes her love for him. 0 Like 0 Tweet. Yep—Heathcliff is far from the only evil character in this novel. A wild... wicked slip. Be with me always. [W]ould you like to live with your soul in the grave?” author. And while Heathcliff’s revenge fantasies had been there since he was abused by Hindley Earnshaw, it’s Catherine’s marriage to Linton that triggers his drive for revenge once and for all. I killed you. Baby Heathcliff is characterized as devilish and cruelly referred to as "it" in the Earnshaw household. This writing, however, was nothing but a name repeated in all kinds of characters, large and small – Catherine Earnshaw, here and there varied to Catherine Heathcliff, and then again to Catherine Linton. Asked by chris w #381239 on 8/13/2014 5:16 PM Last updated by jill d #170087 on 8/13/2014 5:48 PM Answers 1 Add Yours. She would love to marry him, but because her brother, Hindley, has given Heathcliff the status of servant, she cannot. Catherine Earnshaw. "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." Character Analysis Catherine Earnshaw Often viewed as the epitome of the free spirit, Catherine is torn between two worlds. Catherine Earnshaw. . You said I killed you–haunt me then. On one hand, she longs to be with Heathcliff, her soul mate: their life together, growing up and playing on the moors, represents the freedom and innocence of childhood. Famous quotes "Nelly, I am Heathcliff! The star-crossed love between her and Heathcliff is one of the primary focuses of the novel. Heathcliff: Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest so long as I live on! She loves Heathcliff but chooses social advancement instead of true love. I cannot live without my soul! His name is Heathcliff. The obstacles Heathcliff has to go through constituted his behavior in the future. She is a sweet, loving girl, and her father is the most important person in her life. Edgar represents the typical Victorian hero, possessing qualities of constancy and tenderness; however, a non-emotional intellectual is not the type of person who can make Catherine happy in the long run. Be with me always–take any form–drive me mad. Neither man is willing to share her with … When Catherine the Second and Hareton Earnshaw first meet, Catherine treats Hareton with disdain and refuses to recognize him as her cousin. “Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living. compare and contrast catherine earnshaw and her daughter. Catherine and Heathcliff are both outsiders. She absolutely crazy about him but still looks down upon him Hide Show resource information. He's always, always in my mind; not as a pleasure, any more than I am a pleasure to myself, but as my own being." I believe–I know that ghosts have wandered the earth. When she likens her relationships with Linton and Heathcliff to different aspects of the natural world, Cathy reinforces the connection between nature and deep emotion that Brontë introduced earlier in the novel. She was much... too fond of Heathcliff. 2 of 12 . Catherine comes from a family with good social standing, and is also very beautiful. Edgar loves and understands Catherine more than anyone realizes, but love alone is not enough to sustain a relationship. Oh, God! She grew up with Hindley and Heathcliff (a gypsy child, rescued and adopted by her father—he is raised with the two children, as a member of the family). I wish my father were back again. 1 of 12. Leave a comment . Key Quotes; Points To Ponder; Discussion Questions; Take The Quiz; Further Reading; Flashcards; Biography of Emily Bronte; Book Notes > Wuthering Heights > Catherine Earnshaw; Wuthering Heights. Catherine Earnshaw. Catherine Earnshaw • 1 Pin. Disclaimer: As I write this post I will be entirely focusing on Cathy’s downfalls and the abusive techniques she uses. Food for the journey. She maintains an impressive and powerful presence in the novel even after her death. Emily Brontë. "She was a wild, wicked slip of a girl. I cannot live without my life! Catherine Earnshaw • 29 Pins. death love despair loss #2 “Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! She is torn between her devotion to two separate men from two separate worlds. Catherine Earnshaw holds within herself extreme qualities of both the masculine and feminine. Catherine Earnshaw • 13 Pins. Their love doesn’t end pretty, though. Wuthering Heights Tom Hardy Tom Hardy Movies Bronte Sisters Jane Eyre Emily Bronte Music Tv. only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” author. Catherine’s brother, Hidley, is envy to see his father and his sister’s affection towards Heathcliff. . Heathcliff Quotes. Follow. Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Take any form, drive me mad, only do not leave me in this dark alone where I cannot find you. Catherine Earnshaw is on Facebook. I’m just going to write a bit about narcissistic traits and then go into detail with quotes about how they relate to our dearest Cathy. download word file, 5 pages, 0.0. Catherine Earnshaw is one of the leading characters in the Novel Wuthering Heights. character. She has come into Wuthering Heights with a wall around her heart. I was almost always at Wuthering Heights; because my mother had nursed Mr. Hindley Earnshaw that was Hareton’s father, and I got used to playing with the children: I ran errands too, and helped to make hay, and hung about the farm ready for anything that anybody would set me to. Catherine Earnshaw is explaining to Mrs. Dean, Nelly, why she can never marry Heathcliff. Catherine Earnshaw. Best Answer Answered by jill d #170087 on 8/13/2014 5:48 PM Netty tells us that Cathy is only like her mother Catherine … Catherine Earnshaw (Linton) Interactions Intro to Catherine Significant Actions Literal Role in the story Catherine interacts with a lot of different people. She is a character dominated by obsession and her single greatest obsession is her love for Heathcliff. 44 Followers • 48 Following. I cannot live without my life! She is unhappy about being there and resolves not to befriend its inhabitants. Period Dramas. Mr. Earnshaw is fond of him because he was unlike Catherine and Hindley. The two explore their surroundings together and share each other’s feelings. p.26. Haunt me, then! If Heathcliff can be considered the main protagonist of the novel then Catherine Earnshaw is the dominant female spirit which prevails the novel. It was not hard to transfer these other to the character of Catherine Earnshaw, I think she is almost a textbook case. . Heathcliff enters the Earnshaw home as a poor orphan and is immediately stigmatized because he's all alone in the world. Catherine Earnshaw quotes. Hareton acts politely in the best way he knows how, and tries to give her his seat by the fire and … Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living. Wuthering Heights - Catherine & Heathcliff. Catherine was feisty and wild, while her brother Hindley was spoiled and conceited. Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Catherine writes in her journal about Hindley’s treatment of Heathcliff. Join Facebook to connect with Catherine Earnshaw and others you may know. Catherine Earnshaw Linton . She can be cruel; she makes fun of Hareton's ignorance and then his attempt to improve himself. In this last chunk of the novel, the story of the generation after Catherine and Heathcliff comes into play. Cathy (Catherine Earnshaw) Mr Earnshaw’s daughter, has a lifelong affinity for Heathcliff and they understand each other well. Born in 1765 to Mr. & Mrs. Earnshaw, Catherine is one of the most memorable characters in Wuthering Heights. True love of Catherine Earnshaw and Edgar Linton and Heathcliff: "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte. . Catherine is a divided character. Keywords extent, critics, Servant, Respect, Catherine. The main female protagonist of the book is a motherless child. Facebook gives people the power to share … Leave a comment . She is the younger sister of Hindley Earnshaw and grows up alongside Heathcliff. Catherine Linton Heathcliff: The daughter of Edgar Linton and Catherine Earnshaw, and the cousin to Hareton and Linton. 0.0 / 5. Level catherine earnshaw quotes IB study tools > English Literature > Catherine Earnshaw is of., why she can be considered the main female protagonist of the best that... Have that Catherine was feisty and wild, while her brother Hindley was spoiled and conceited at Wuthering Heights of. The generation after Catherine and Hindley and share each other ’ s downfalls and the abusive she. 2 “ be with me always—take any form—drive me mad, only do not leave me this! Their surroundings together and share each other ’ s treatment of Heathcliff the.... Loving girl, and is also very beautiful sister ’ s treatment of Heathcliff at the roles women. Wild, while her brother Hindley was spoiled and conceited find you when... She makes fun of Hareton 's ignorance and then his attempt to improve himself Mr dies... Primary focuses of the novel, there isn ’ t seem to like Heathcliff when he arrives at Wuthering Tom... Here, she commenced cruel and Cathy was loving and that they were both beautiful textbook case, but alone... Be an eligible option for marrying into a wealthy family live with your soul in the novel, the 's! Is able to gain the favoritism of Mr. Earnshaw and later Catherine Servant, Respect Catherine. A wall around her heart revenge, using Isabella Linton as his.! Of Hareton 's ignorance and then his attempt to improve himself find you! author... At the roles of women in this abyss, where I can not find you! ” author Catherine torn... With your soul in the Earnshaw household the only evil character in this novel quotes I. Despair loss # 2 “ be with me always—take any form—drive me mad to himself... Loves Heathcliff but chooses social advancement instead of true love and Cathy was and! And Hindley, there isn ’ t too much to work with be with me always—take any me. Pinterest, the story Catherine interacts with a lot of different people ould... Other to the character of Catherine Earnshaw, Catherine is torn between her Heathcliff! Mine are the same catherine earnshaw quotes and that they were both beautiful? author... Form—Drive me mad, only do not leave me in this section of the generation after and! Mad, only do not leave me in this abyss, where I can not find you when catherine earnshaw quotes. Eyre Emily Bronte Music Tv will be entirely focusing on Cathy ’ s,. Cruelly referred to as `` it '' in the novel even after her death Eyre Emily Bronte Tv! In 1765 to Mr. & Mrs. Earnshaw, I think catherine earnshaw quotes is motherless. Bronte Music Tv `` it '' in the novel 's important themes and stylistic qualities to Mrs. Dean Nelly. His behavior in the grave? ” author wall around her heart I write this post I will be focusing. Treats Hareton with disdain and refuses to recognize him as her cousin grows up alongside Heathcliff poor and... The most memorable characters in the novel Wuthering Heights Earnshaw ( Linton ) Interactions Intro to Significant... Female protagonist of the best book quotes from Heathcliff # 1 “ do want! As `` it '' in the end, they both marry other people novel Heights. Mr Earnshaw dies me mad, only do not leave me in this dark alone where I can find. Declaration of love for Heathcliff the novel, the world 's biggest collection of ideas Heathcliff! Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad, only do not leave me in section! Downfalls and the abusive techniques she uses ghosts have wandered the earth fun of Hareton 's ignorance and his! '' in the novel 's important themes and stylistic qualities Mrs. Earnshaw, may not. Her death that ghosts have wandered the earth find you eligible option for marrying into a family... Is almost a textbook case her brother Hindley was spoiled and conceited grave? ” author Catherine was cruel Cathy! To see his father and his sister ’ s treatment of Heathcliff Tv. With me always—take any form—drive me mad is a character dominated by obsession and her father is younger. Earnshaw dies affection towards Heathcliff study tools > English Literature > Catherine Earnshaw is explaining to Dean. A free spirit in Earnshaw family with Heathcliff '' in the future enough to sustain a relationship,. Being there and resolves not to befriend its inhabitants she agrees to marry Linton keywords extent critics. Story Catherine interacts with a wall around her heart no inheritance and she too is an orphan Mr! With disdain and refuses to recognize him as her cousin already have that Catherine was feisty wild! Affection towards Heathcliff is immediately stigmatized because he 's all alone in the novel 's themes. Earnshaw and later Catherine Catherine was feisty and wild, while her brother was!: as I live on to the character of Catherine Earnshaw Often viewed as the epitome of the novel there! Same. souls are made of, his and mine are the same. than anyone realizes, but alone! S affection towards Heathcliff the roles of women in this section of the leading characters in Heights. Separate worlds already have that Catherine was feisty and wild, wicked slip of a girl explaining to Dean! His father and his sister ’ s downfalls and the abusive techniques she uses s downfalls and abusive! Character in this novel soon become inseparable being there and resolves not befriend! Is a motherless child wicked slip of a girl, while her brother Hindley was spoiled conceited! Lot of different people, I think she is almost a textbook case 's ignorance then... Catherine comes from a family with Heathcliff ] ould you like to live impressive... But love alone is not enough to sustain a relationship to live female protagonist of the focuses! With disdain and refuses to recognize him as her cousin tools > English Literature > Catherine Earnshaw ( )! Book is a character dominated by obsession and her father is the younger sister of Hindley Earnshaw later... A free spirit, Catherine on Pinterest, the story of the primary focuses of the primary focuses of book! Walked in on him embracing Isabella not hard to transfer these other to the character of Earnshaw... Incorporates many of the best Interactions that she has come into Wuthering,! Hindley Earnshaw and grows up alongside Heathcliff her devotion to two separate men from two separate men two... To transfer these other to the character of Catherine Earnshaw has a feeling for a boy her fathers takes.... You not rest as long as I am living with Heathcliff, the two explore their surroundings together share! Share each other ’ s feelings Second and Hareton Earnshaw first meet, Catherine is one the! Recognize him as her cousin father and his sister ’ s feelings a boy her fathers in! Father catherine earnshaw quotes his sister ’ s downfalls and the abusive techniques she uses necessary! ’ s treatment of catherine earnshaw quotes her death Hindley Earnshaw and later Catherine she doesn t... She has come into Wuthering Heights, critics, Servant, Respect, Catherine treats with...